OPEN DAY, OPEN HEARTS!
Sunday 24th April we had our 2nd Open Day of the year - this time the theme was 'Local Economy'
The day was a huge success - the sun was shining and the people were shining too.
We had nearly 100 people turn up from 11 different countries and take part in a local economy exchange at the Mount of Oaks.
People were buying or swapping local produce, contributing ideas and knowledge in a facilitated discussion on local economy, sharing contacts for further actions AND having lots of fun, especially the kids!
Apr 15, 2016
As this blog is being written it is raining outside. In the last days we have had thunder, lightening and HAIL storms! In English there is the phrase, 'it's raining cats and dogs.' In Portugal the equivalent is 'está a chover a potes' - meaning 'it's raining pots' - certainly the rain is FILLING POTS!! Crazy weather indeed!
The last weeks have been beautifully full of folk coming to visit the land - participants on the natural building course, volunteers, Marcia's mum, and dear friends......we also have been busy in the garden and have 4 new chicks to show you!!!
read on to see the pictures and following the story.....
Apr 13, 2016
O tema deste Dia Aberto será Economia Local.
Queremos convidar todos aqueles que estão interessados em desenvolver a economia local a visitar-nos, a ver exemplos do que se faz aqui na nossa região e a partilhar ideias para o futuro. Além do programa teremos uma feirinha com produtos locais e artesanato, e actividades para crianças.
12h Almoço vegetariano
14h - 14h30 Visita guiada
15h - 15h40 Conversa sobre Economia Local (pequena introdução teórica e partilha de exemplos)
16h - 16h40 Ideias em acção (divisão em grupos para gerar planos de acção)
17h - 18h Danças Europeias
Informações e inscrições até dia 21 de Abril através do email: email@example.com
Valor de troca: 2 euros ou 5 euros com almoço vegetariano
This Open Day we want to talk about Local Economy!
We invite people to visit us, get to know about different initiatives happening in the area and share ideas for the future. Besides the programme we'll have a little market with local products and activities for children.
12 noon Vegetarian Lunch
2pm - 2:30pm Guided Tour
3pm - 3:40pm Talk about Local Economy
4pm - 4:40pm Ideas in Action
5pm - 6pm European Dances
Info + Registrations until 21st of April: firstname.lastname@example.org
Exchange value: 2 euros or 5 euros with vegetarian lunch
Apr 6, 2016
INTRODUÇÃO à CONSTRUÇÃO NATURAL
UM CURSO PRÁTICO
18-24 de Junho 2016
Uma experiência de 9 dias de teoria e prática de trabalho com materiais naturais - uma oficina de introdução para pessoas que querem aprender fazendo...
Continue a ler para mais informações...
Apr 5, 2016
INTRODUCTION to NATURAL BUILDING
A PRACTICAL WORKSHOP
18th-24th June 2016
A 9 day experience of daily theory and practice of working with natural materials - an introduction workshop for people who want to 'learn by doing'......
The Practical Natural Building Workshop at the Mount of Oaks is a 9 day experience of 'learning by doing'.
The workshop is designed as an introduction to Natural Building. Participants get the chance to learn and experiment with MANY different techniques as the course content is beautifully varied.
There is a progression in the teaching and practical methods that allows participants to grow in confidence as the course continues. This course is designed with the 'non-professional' builder in mind and is aimed as an introduction course.
Come and learn about:
* Foundations with Gravel bag (“Superadobe” technique) ......... * French Drainage..............*
Strawbale walls ............* “Adobe” and “Light Earth” bricks.................* "Stick frame" wall.......
* Clay and Lime Plasters...........
This Course will be facilitated by Barbara Leite, pioneer in this small community at the Mount of Oaks since 2006, with 7 years experience in Permaculture Design and Natural Building... with all the mistakes and successes that go with starting from scratch :-)
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM THIS COURSE?
The Course will have a daily chunk of theory and introduction to all these different techniques and use of local and natural materials, but mostly it will be practical to really get a feel for each material and technique.
Also there is no need of any previous experience as a builder, or engineer or architect.
It is a Course available to all, including children.
Let´s play with the natural elements and learn with them :-)
We will be working on several buildings on the site so that our experience can be as diverse as possible. For the full programme of each day - please get in touch and we can send you more details.
HOW CAN YOU REGISTER ?
Send us your name and e.mail address, via our contact form here on the top right sidebar.
We will only have 10 participants so that everyone can take the best out of it.
USE OUR CONTACT FORM ON THE SIDE-BAR .
The cost of the course is 350E (early birds have discounts and we are open to negotiations, get in touch through our contact form)
THIS COST COVERS:
* The learning experience
* An handmade Manual
* 3 yummy vegetarian meals a day
* Camping space (tents, motor-homes, tipis, etc)
* Stretching exercises and breathing techniques before working
* Internet access during determined hours
* Day off on Wednesday and, weather dependent, a trip with picnic somewhere around this area :-)... Mountains or lakes :-)
*Pick-ups at the local train station
** With extra costs there is Thai massage available during the rest times.
WHAT SHOULD YOU BRING ?
* tent or whatever housing you choose :-)
*Sleeping bag and mat to sleep on.....
* a flashlight (head-lamps are very useful)
* a mug (just in case we don´t have enough)
* Notebook is a good idea, plus, pencil and colour pens.
* towel and daily care stuff. We request you bring only natural products.We do have natural soaps made by us and toothpaste to sell.
* Working clothes, a hat and gloves.
* Swimming gear if you want to swim in our small lake.
* If you play any instrument, do bring it for the evening chill out
* We have a 12v solar panel system, so if you bring one of those car chargers it´s much easier
* Joy, Love, Open heart, smiles, your own experience, etc...
WHAT DOES THE MOUNT OF OAKS PROVIDE ?
* Camping Area
* Compost toilets
* Spring Water and delicious vegetarian food...
PLEASE INFORM US IF YOU HAVE ANY RESTRICTION OR ALLERGY ...
* Bathroom with hot shower (sun dependent) and a bathtub warmed by fire :-)...
* A small lake to swim and a paddling pool to refresh in hot days
* Silent and contemplation spaces
* Fireplaces and wood for the evenings.
* Our lovely animals entertainment - our donkey, chickens, 5 cats and 2 friendly dogs.
* Space for yoga and plenty of peace and tranquility
For further information and to register get in touch via our Contact Form on the siderbar - or drop an email to email@example.com
For directions and weather details check the links on the sidebar when you are considering what clothes to pack!!
Please feel free to share this post with people who might be interested.