INTRODUCTION to NATURAL BUILDING
A PRACTICAL WORKSHOP
18th-24th June 2016
A 9 day experience of daily theory and practice of working with natural materials - an introduction workshop for people who want to 'learn by doing'......
The Practical Natural Building Workshop at the Mount of Oaks is a 9 day experience of 'learning by doing'.
The workshop is designed as an introduction to Natural Building. Participants get the chance to learn and experiment with MANY different techniques as the course content is beautifully varied.
There is a progression in the teaching and practical methods that allows participants to grow in confidence as the course continues. This course is designed with the 'non-professional' builder in mind and is aimed as an introduction course.
Come and learn about:
* Foundations with Gravel bag (“Superadobe” technique) ......... * French Drainage..............*
Strawbale walls ............* “Adobe” and “Light Earth” bricks.................* "Stick frame" wall.......
* Clay and Lime Plasters...........
This Course will be facilitated by Barbara Leite, pioneer in this small community at the Mount of Oaks since 2006, with 7 years experience in Permaculture Design and Natural Building... with all the mistakes and successes that go with starting from scratch :-)
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM THIS COURSE?
The Course will have a daily chunk of theory and introduction to all these different techniques and use of local and natural materials, but mostly it will be practical to really get a feel for each material and technique.
Also there is no need of any previous experience as a builder, or engineer or architect.
It is a Course available to all, including children.
Let´s play with the natural elements and learn with them :-)
We will be working on several buildings on the site so that our experience can be as diverse as possible. For the full programme of each day - please get in touch and we can send you more details.
HOW CAN YOU REGISTER ?
Send us your name and e.mail address, via our contact form here on the top right sidebar.
We will only have 10 participants so that everyone can take the best out of it.
USE OUR CONTACT FORM ON THE SIDE-BAR .
The cost of the course is 350E (early birds have discounts and we are open to negotiations, get in touch through our contact form)
THIS COST COVERS:
* The learning experience
* An handmade Manual
* 3 yummy vegetarian meals a day
* Camping space (tents, motor-homes, tipis, etc)
* Stretching exercises and breathing techniques before working
* Internet access during determined hours
* Day off on Wednesday and, weather dependent, a trip with picnic somewhere around this area :-)... Mountains or lakes :-)
*Pick-ups at the local train station
** With extra costs there is Thai massage available during the rest times.
WHAT SHOULD YOU BRING ?
* tent or whatever housing you choose :-)
*Sleeping bag and mat to sleep on.....
* a flashlight (head-lamps are very useful)
* a mug (just in case we don´t have enough)
* Notebook is a good idea, plus, pencil and colour pens.
* towel and daily care stuff. We request you bring only natural products.We do have natural soaps made by us and toothpaste to sell.
* Working clothes, a hat and gloves.
* Swimming gear if you want to swim in our small lake.
* If you play any instrument, do bring it for the evening chill out
* We have a 12v solar panel system, so if you bring one of those car chargers it´s much easier
* Joy, Love, Open heart, smiles, your own experience, etc...
WHAT DOES THE MOUNT OF OAKS PROVIDE ?
* Camping Area
* Compost toilets
* Spring Water and delicious vegetarian food...
PLEASE INFORM US IF YOU HAVE ANY RESTRICTION OR ALLERGY ...
* Bathroom with hot shower (sun dependent) and a bathtub warmed by fire :-)...
* A small lake to swim and a paddling pool to refresh in hot days
* Silent and contemplation spaces
* Fireplaces and wood for the evenings.
* Our lovely animals entertainment - our donkey, chickens, 5 cats and 2 friendly dogs.
* Space for yoga and plenty of peace and tranquility
For further information and to register get in touch via our Contact Form on the siderbar - or drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For directions and weather details check the links on the sidebar when you are considering what clothes to pack!!
Please feel free to share this post with people who might be interested.